January 1, 2009
Some Hikams of Ibn Ata’allah
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Here are a list of some of the Hikams of Ibn Ata’allah that strike a chord with me. Some of them are repeats from my Sufi Quotes post (from his book–Ibn Ata’allah/Intimate Conversations):
- One of the signs of relying on one’s own deeds is the loss of hope when a downfall occurs.
- If, in spite of intense supplication, there is a delay in the time of the Gift, let that not be the cause for your despairing. For He has guaranteed you a response in what He chooses for you, not in what you choose for yourself, and at the time He desires, not the time you desire.
- Actions differ because the inspirations of the states of being differ.
- Actions are lifeless forms [suwar qa’ima], but the presence of an inner reality of sincerity [sirr al-ikhlas] within them is what endows them with life-giving Spirit.
- Nothing benefits the heart more than a spiritual retreat wherein it enters the domain of reflection.
- The Cosmos is all darkness. It is illumined only by the manifestation of the Real [Allah] in it. He who sees the Cosmos and does not contemplate Him in it or by it or before it or after it is in need of light.
- Do not request Him to get you out of a state to make use of you in a different one, for, were He to desire so, He could make use of you as you are, without taking you out!
- Not a breath do you exhale but a decree of Destiny has made it go forth.
- Amongst the signs of success at the end is the turning to Allah at the beginning.
- Your being on the lookout for the vices hidden within you is better than your being on the lookout for the invisible realities (or hidden truths) veiled from you.
- Appeal to no one but Him to relieve you of a pressing need that He Himself has brought upon you. For how can someone else remove what He has imposed? And how can he who is unable to free himself of a pressing need free anyone else of one?
- Do not keep company with anyone whose state does not inspire you and whose speech does not lead you to Allah.
- No deed arising from a renouncing heart is small, and no deed arising from an avaricious heart is fruitful.
- Good works are the results of good states. Good states arise from the stations wherein those having spiritual realization abide.
- Whoever supposes that His gentleness is separate from His decree of fate does so out of shortsightedness.
- He manifests everything because He is the Interior, and He conceals the existence of everything because He is the Exterior.
- People praise you for what they suppose is in you; but you must blame yourself for what you know is in it. (I LOVE THIS ONE!)
- When you commit a wrong action, let it not be a reason for your despairing of attaining to righteousness before your Lord, for that might be the last decreed for you.
- There is a light deposited in hearts which is nourished by the Light coming from the treasuries of the invisible realms.
- Sometimes darknesses come over you so that He can make you aware of the value of His blessings upon you.
…Okay, that is enough hikams for now. That took me a load of time to put up. I need to find an online copy of the hikams…. Or I may add more later.